The DEADLINE for the next Leadership Series applicants
has been extended to SEPTEMBER 29, 2023.
The Vermont Leadership Series trains Vermonters with developmental disabilities, and their family members, to be advocates for positive social change. Lessons include steps to be a leader, how to get your point across, and key issues in disability rights.
These workshops are comprised of short talks, panels, and lots of hands-on, interactive activities. Trainers model advocating with legislators, ways to promote positive attitudes about disability, and inclusive practices that harness the strengths of all. Activities are designed to help participants build new partnerships and increase each new leader’s commitment to making Vermont a better place to live for people with disabilities.
As nationally known self-advocate, Chester Finn, said one year at Leadership, "Your motto should be 'If I don't do it, who will?'"
• Parents who support a son or daughter of any age with a developmental disability.
• Adults living with intellectual or other disabilities who want to challenge themselves to speak up and learn new skills.
• Sisters, brothers, and grandparents who are growing into their role supporting a family member with a disability.
Each weekend session begins Saturday morning and ends Sunday afternoon. Participants usually spend overnight at the workshop location. Leadership sponsors cover the cost an overnight room and most meals. Cost should not be a barrier to participating!
The next Leaders Series starts in late fall and runs through to winter. The Planning Team carefully consider venues for accessibility, cost, and location. Exact venues to be announced.
- November 4-5, 2023 in Middlebury, VT.
- December 2-3, 2023 in Burlington, VT.
- January 6-7, 2024 in Montpelier, VT.
- Save and print the 2023 Leadership Series cover page for a
reminder of the dates and application deadline.
The Deadline for the next Leadership Series applicants has been extended to September 29, 2023. We encourage everyone to apply. Spaces are limited. Do not worry if you are not accepted this time since the Series repeats every year.
- Save to your device and fill-out the application electronically by typing.
- Save to your device, print, and fill-out the application by handwriting.
A Special Graduation Ceremony takes place at the end of the Series.
The Planning Team will announce the Date and Location of graduation soon. Please check this page for updates.
The series is sponsored by the Vermont Developmental Disabilities Council and, with support from , the , and the .